Monday, July 11, 2011

Conwy

Conwy by h.Lo
Conwy, a photo by h.Lo on Flickr.

Today was a day of discovery. My nerdy tendencies have now expanded to loving castles. I visited two in this day alone, starting with Caenarfon Castle. We had an extensive tour that helped bring the place to life. I then climbed several of the towers to drink in the views.

Following our visit to the castle, we went to the national slate museum. A very funny quarryman demonstrated slate splitting, shaped a heart of slate, and told us about the poor working conditions they endured. The drive back to Conwy took us through the dramatic scenery of Snowdonia and its many peaks.

Back in Conwy, I visited my second castle of the day. It was much smaller than the one in Caenarfon, but still very interesting. You really feel like a kid exploring a castle, climbing towers, running around looking up and down, imaging what went where when it was in use. The towers offered great views of the town and surrounding water, too.

After exiting the castle, I took a long walk (in the sun!) along the waterfront and atop the city walls. Families were out crabbing or having a pint outdoors at the Liverpool Arms. Atop the highest point of the city walls, I added to my list of "best ever views". Conwy spilled out below my feet, other towns and water filled in the rest of the scene. On the opposite end of town, the castle stood in its glory. Conwy is magnificent.

I indulged in another Indian dish at dinner (chicken korma), but skipped the cheese plate for dessert this time. Definitely plotting how to get back to Conwy with Shawn in the very near future.

1 comment:

  1. I love how your tour has you thinking of places you want to revisit with Shawn. I love how the two of you are always thinking of each other!

    ReplyDelete