
So, we took off early and arrived in Honolulu right around lunch time. First thing we noticed? Yep, it's pretty darn hot in Hawaii. Almost Indiana-in-summer warm. I also quickly noted that several fellow travelers dug out their Hawaiian-print suitcases for this trip. Who knew those even existed?
After picking up our rental car, we headed straight to Pearl Harbor to visit the USS Arizona Memorial. It was interesting, insightful, and respectful. The architecture is very thought provoking and it rests just above the sunken battleship. I took quite a few pics and plan to post some soon. We both really enjoyed it.
Since it was such a hot and sunny afternoon, we checked into our hotel and took a little siesta (wait, where am I?). Afterwards, we hit an ABC Store (which seems to be more prevalent than Starbucks) before heading out to the beach. Caught an awesome sunset before dining at a lovely little Italian restaurant, Arancino.
My first impression of Oahu is a good one. Shawn and I both seem to think that Waikiki is a bit like Vegas with an awesome beach. The weather feels about the same, there are mountains in the distance, and some cheesy hotels and souvenir stands. We, however, like Vegas, so this should work out just fine! ;)
Up for tomorrow: Snorkeling, boogie boarding, trying not to be eaten alive by a shark. Ha ha.
I am soooooo jealous right now!
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY H!!
ReplyDeleteThe trip sounds awesome so far and try not to get eaten by a shark tomorrow =) Glad you're enjoying the warm weather and can't wait to see your pics.